The structure provides for the following levels:
(a) The Council functions for a period of 4 years and it consists of the following committees:
- Executive Committee responsible for the day to day running of the Council
- School Examinations Committee responsible for school examinations
- Professional Examinations Committee responsible for professional examinations
(b) The composition of the Council constitutes:
- The Chairman appointed by the President of the United Republic of Tanzania
- 14 members appointed by the Ministry of Education and Culture.
The Secretariat comprises:
- The Executive Secretary who is the Chief Executive Officer of NECTA.
- The Deputy Executive Secretary who is responsible for coordinating and monitoring of all the activities of the Examinations Departments of NECTA.
- The Heads of Departments who are responsible for successful implementation of the set goals and objectives of NECTA pertaining to their respective departments.
- Heads of Sections who are responsible for the successful implementation of the day to day work of their sections.